3/4 Sovereign Hill Camp

On Friday 3rd November we arrived back at school after a wonderful camp to Sovereign Hill.  We experienced and learnt so much about the Victorian Gold Rush in the 1850s and the Eureka Stockade which played such a significant part in forming democracy in Australia.  The photo story and gold pour video captures just a snapshot of what we did over the three days.

What were your TOP 5 memories and/or experiences from camp and why?

Leave a comment explaining your TOP 5.

Here are mine:

1. Watching the gold pour demonstration and learning about how hot gold has to be to melt and its value.  It was also really interesting to learn that the same gold had been continuously melted and poured since the 1990s.
  2. Learning how to pan for gold.  In the beginning it was really frustrating panning for gold as I knew that I wasn’t doing it right.  After a demonstration from one of the diggers I was consistently able to find gold.
  3. Watching the Blood on the Southern Cross light and sound show.  It was wonderful to see the story of the Eureka Stockade, it was like you were actually there!
  4. Getting to know you all better.  It was great to spend more time together.  We were able to get to know each other more and form new friendships.
  5. The education session.  I really enjoyed learning about what life was like in the 1850s on the Goldfields.  Did you know that they only bathed once a month and washed their hair once a year!  This was incredibly interesting and disgusting.

17 Comments on 3/4 Sovereign Hill Camp

1. Molly
    November 9, 2017 at 8:57 am (7 months ago)

1. Bowling was one of my favourite activities because it was different then bowling now, you swung your arms between your legs and then released the ball.
    2. Blood on the Southern Cross was really cool it had lights and it was pretty creepy because you heard voices but you could not see them.
    3. The educational school was very different to our school but it was fun. We wrote in the old day letters. I dressed up as a girl in the gold rush.
    4. The talent show was good I really liked Pink. Some friends and I performed a flipping show after we played some games, it was fun.
    5. We went gold mining and we patted the horse, it was fun. We asked about 10000000000000000000000000000000 questions about the horse. Sadly I did not find gold, sad!

2. Seb
    November 9, 2017 at 8:59 am (7 months ago)

1. SHOPPING was my favourite thing because we got to buy things that we actually wanted, LIKE RASPBERRY DROPS! We also got lost a few times.
    2. THE TALENT SHOW. My favourite was one of the comedy acts. I did not do an act but I still had fun!
    3. THE MINE TOUR. My favourite part was when a fake welcome nugget came out of a fake safe. I also liked when the roof was leaking then it stopped for us.
    4. THE GOLD POUR DEMONSTRATION. Even though I had already seen gold being poured this one was probably better because he put the gold in a display.
    5. THE EDUCATION CENTER. The center was really fun because the people that went up and dressed up made it really funny. It was also interesting to learn about how they lived back then.

3. Clarissa
    November 9, 2017 at 9:07 am (7 months ago)

1. THE GOLD POUR DEMONSTRATION was really fun! We got to see how gold was heated up and made into gold bars at 1200 degrees. They had been using the same gold bar for demonstrations since 1992!

2. BLOOD ON THE SOUTHERN CROSS taught us about the Eureka Stockade. We had to travel to different places to hear different parts of the story.

3. THE RED HILL MINE was an underground tour. There was a model of the Welcome Nugget. Today it would be worth about 3-4 million dollars.

4. SHOPPING was really fun! I got lots of things with my $20.

5. CABIN GROUPS were really good. I was in a room with lots of my friends. I really liked the room I was in.

4. Charlotte
    November 9, 2017 at 9:08 am (7 months ago)

1. I liked panning for gold, because I found lots of gold. The reason I found gold was because I got help from a real miner because he was using my pan I got some free gold.
    2. I really liked breakfast because I love potatoes and there were hash browns.
    3. On the last day the year 3s made a Tee Pee, unfortunately a year 4 wrecked it. Though it could fit 2 people in it.
    4. I liked bowling because it was interesting to learn about how people would play then.
    5. I liked the food on the last day because I love plastic cheese.

5. Cadel
    November 9, 2017 at 9:26 am (7 months ago)

1. Looking at our rooms for the first time. I liked looking at our rooms for the first time because we got to see how good they were and we also got to see who was in our rooms.
    2. Blood on the Southern Cross. I liked Blood on the Southern Cross because we got to see a play and it was really cool because it was half outside.
    3. Education class. I liked the education class because we got to see how they dressed and it was really gross because they didn’t have public toilets.
    4. Talent show. I liked the talent show because we got to see some really funny jokes and the judges responses were really funny.
    5. Shopping! I liked shopping because we got to see what Sovereign Hill sells like lollies, gold and a bunch of candles.

6. Stephanie
    November 9, 2017 at 9:31 am (7 months ago)

1. AFTERNOON TEA SCONES – I loved the scones that we ate at the New York Bakery. They had jam and cream inside and hot chocolate with it. It was very yummy.

2. CABIN SWAP – Clarissa and I swapped cabins and got to pick the first beds. I slept in a room with Alex, Priya and Clarissa. I had so much fun.

3. MEET ANIMALS – I meet a horse called Ruby and two pigs. The pigs really liked Alex’s water.

4. 2ND NIGHT SLEEPING – I loved sleeping with all my friends and in my sleeping bag. It was very warm.

5. SHOPPING – I bought one jar of raspberry drops, one bag of rainbow shells, one bag of chocolate frogs and one love heart shaped candle. I also helped my friends shop.

7. Alexander
    November 9, 2017 at 9:41 am (7 months ago)

1. I loved seeing the animals. Naming the pigs was so fun.
    2. We brought $20 to buy lollies, posters, a horse shoe and so much more.
    3. I really enjoyed the food on camp, it was sensational.
    4. The light and sound show, Blood on the Southern Cross was 5 GOLD stars.
    5. The trip home was 2hrs but it was so much fun.

8. Will

1. THE GOLD POUR The gold pour was so cool because the gold goes up to 1000 degrees or over and it takes ten minutes to melt.
    2. BLOOD ON THE SOUTHERN CROSS was one of the best things because it was very interesting and it looked so real but it would have been better with people.
    3. SHOPPING was fun. I got to buy so many things for my family. I also got lollies called RASPBERRY DROPS!!!! and they are so yum.
    4. THE EDUCATION CENTER was really cool because we got to dress up in the olden day clothes and we also got to write like them.
    5. THE GUN DEMONSTRATION was so cool but so loud. He pumped up the gun like 20 times and then shot it. It was so loud it felt like I was deaf.

9. Imogen
    November 9, 2017 at 9:42 am (7 months ago)

1. I liked Blood On The Southern Cross, it was late at night so all the lights were really bright and realistic.
    2. I also liked panning for gold because we had been learning about the gold rush and finding gold. We used the alluvial tools to help us find gold and I FOUND GOLD!!!!
    3. Another thing we did while we were on camp was the education center. It was fun because in the time of the gold rush the schools were really different to how they are today. They played this really hard game where you had to get the ball in the cup.
    4. On the second night we had a talent show. There were lots of different acts, but I did not get most of the comedy acts but it was still really FUN!!!!
    5. On the last day (Friday) we went shopping. We had $20 to spend, the raspberry drops were REALLY popular.

10. Chloe

1. I liked gold panning because I found gold. It was difficult but by learning from an expert I eventually learnt to do it the proper way.
    2. I also liked shopping because it enabled me to explore parts of Sovereign Hill I had never seen before. There were no maps therefore it was difficult to navigate around.
    3. Bowling was fun because it was so much different to normal bowling and it immersed us in the old fashion games.
    4. I loved getting ready for bed because me and my cabin mates got along so well and we usually got ready really quickly therefore we had lots of time to play games and joke around.
    5. I loved the first days afternoon tea because it was so well set up and the scones and jam were delicious. We also had yummy hot chocolate. It was great.

11. Nan
    November 9, 2017 at 9:44 am (7 months ago)

1. BLOOD on the Southern CROSS I liked it because of the fire and that stuff. The voices were creepy because you ccouldn’t see the people speaking.

2. THE GOLD POUR The gold bar was worth $167,000 and the gold had to be heated to 1000 Celsius to melt.

3. GOLD PANNING Mrs Ryan and I found the second biggest piece of gold! I got to take it home!

4. CHINATOWN We saw the pigs and the chinese hats. It was coooooool

5. THE MINING TOWER Cadz and Lucas went in a mine cart and the towers stairs were creaking, I thought I would fall.

12. Alex
    November 9, 2017 at 9:49 am (7 months ago)

1. Gold pour. It was so amazing and satisfying I loved it. They had been melting and pouring since 1990.It was so heavy we even saw it in mandarin.
    2. Bowling. It was so much fun. It’s actually skittles. You roll the ball in between your legs and let go.
    3. Cabin’s I was with Priya for everything. I was with Steph, Priya, Juliette S, Juliette M, Katie, Clarissa,
    Molly, Anika and Elena in our cabin.
    4. Shopping I loved it because we could buy anything. I spent a lot on lollies. The candles were so cool, you could dip or get them pre made, they even had soap.
    5. Panning for gold I may of had a dip. I fell in the pond! Sadly I did not find gold but I still had fun.

13. Max

1. My favourite day of camp was the 2nd day because my cabin had a torch party and we played soccer with my friends.
    2. The first day was my 2nd favourite day because we saw Blood on the Southern Cross. I really enjoyed it because they used lots of lights, sounds and fire to tell the story.
    3. We went bowling. I really liked bowling because it was the first time I had bowled with a wooden ball and wooden pins. It was a lot harder than normal bowling because the ball was a lot heavier.
    4. The last day was the worst day because it was the day that we left Sovereign Hill and the BIG BUS TRIP! But the breakfast was good.
    5. After breakfast on the last day my group went shopping and I bought two jars of raspberry drops and a whistle then it was the BIG BUS TRIP! The END.

14. April
    November 9, 2017 at 10:05 am (7 months ago)

1. BLOOD ON THE SOUTHERN CROSS Watching this light show was so amazing because it felt like you were actually there! When you watched it there was real fire! I really enjoyed it.

2. RED HILL MINE TOUR We had to go down 54 steps, up 54 steps at the end and there were really freaky voices. We weren’t allowed to go into the dark places, only where the dirty lights were.

3. PANNING FOR GOLD I really liked panning for gold because on the last day I found a real speck of gold. The way I learnt to pan for gold was actually see what the gold looked like.

4. RED COAT MARCH At the Red Coat March the soldiers were about to fire their guns. Everyone had to block their ears because it was really loud.

5. CABIN GROUPS I was in a cabin with Charlotte, Imogen, Chloe, Eva and Alyssa. We were all really excited when we found out on the bus.

15. Hudson
    November 9, 2017 at 10:06 am (7 months ago)

1. CABIN GROUPS We got to know who was in our cabins.
    2. CHICKEN PARMA The first night we had chicken parma, it was so good but the teachers said it was cat. Cat! Cat! It can’t be!
    3. SLEEP Long story short, room 20 woke me, well maybe not. They woke me up, more like stopped me from getting to sleep so I got up, went to the bathroom got out and told them to quit it.
    4. BLOOD ON THE SOUTHERN CROSS The fire on this attraction is so cool, the lights are the best part of it. The fire are just lights, the sound is the speakers. It was so cool.
    5. MINE TOUR We got to go deep down in the earth. It helped us to feel what it was like. The best part was the effects.

16. Lucas
    November 10, 2017 at 11:51 am (7 months ago)

1. Panning for gold was one of my favourite things about camp because I was very bad at it and I kept trying and then I got very good at it. I found a lot of gold!
    2. The bus trip home because I missed my family and I didn’t get much sleep and I was very worn out and I missed my iPad.
    3. Bowling. I like bowling because it was fun playing like the people back then and it was a good way to go bowling.
    4. Shopping. I liked the colour of the candle I brought and it was a good way to put a smile on my parents’ faces.
    5. Gold Pour. I liked it because it was a good way to learn how to pour the gold and how hot it was and if you touch it you will burn your hand.

17. Eva
    November 10, 2017 at 12:09 pm (7 months ago)

1. Bowling I liked bowling because it was old fashioned bowling, it was not like the normal bowling we do now.
    You just had to roll this very, very heavy ball.

2. Blood on the Southern Cross was so, so, so, so, so much fun. We went to the other side of
    Sovereign hill on carriages. It was a sound and light show, it had lots of surprises in it.

3. Mine tour The Mine tour was so, so, so, so, so scary. We went down 53 steps. When we were down there I saw a lot of things.

4. Panning for gold was a lot of fun. But I did not find gold.

5. Shopping was a lot of fun. I got a lot of things. I got my sister Chloe a heart candle, I got my Mum soap, I got my Dad a bag of lollies, I got my sister Stella a horse head lolly and I got myself a bag of raspberry drops and a star candle.