Just One Day

Yesterday we were visited by the Just One Day organisation.

Their cause: EDUCATION = EMPOWERMENT

Education is a basic human right.

Education is the key to ending poverty.

Not only is education a basic human right, but it is the single most effective tool we have in fighting poverty. Education is the foundation for development and a fundamental part of developing communities. When people are educated they are healthier, live longer, earn more money and are able to contribute in a more meaningful way to society.

When people are educated, we see;

• Increased health
  • Reduced child mortality rates
  • Better nutrition
  • Employment and higher wages
  • Economic growth
  • Women empowered

Education leads to powerful social change and is the key to building a society that can overcome poverty in a sustainable way.

Knowing that education can do so much to alleviate poverty and change lives means that we need to keep working to ensure all children have access to schooling.

However, globally over 58 million children do not have access to primary school education.

Solving the problem of inadequate education isn’t easy – there are many reasons why children don’t receive a primary school education.

Poverty is a central factor in why children don’t attend school.

16 Comments on Just One Day

1. Mrs Gridley
    May 23, 2017 at 11:03 am (7 months ago)

Hi Year 3!
    What a fantastic reflection on your learning about Our Just One Day workshops.
    You were certainly involved in some interesting activities.
    What were you surprised about in the workshops?
    What action can you take to help make a difference in the lives of others?

Thanks for sharing this post on your blog!

Mrs Verona Gridley 🙂

2. 3R
    May 23, 2017 at 11:55 am (7 months ago)

We learnt that poverty is powerful because it can easily spread and ruin people’s lives. Australia could feed the poor with all the food that we waste. We also learnt that water is extremely precious so they only use a small amount to clean their dishes and clothes.

3. Luka
    May 23, 2017 at 12:01 pm (7 months ago)

I learnt that there is more people that are poor than the population of China.

4. lucas
    May 23, 2017 at 12:02 pm (7 months ago)

I learnt that Australians waste of food could feed all of the poor in Africa.

5. Cadel
    May 23, 2017 at 12:03 pm (7 months ago)

I learnt that if poor kids go to school poverty will be fixed and that kids only take so close to a bucket of water because water there is so special. I also learnt that what they carry on their head is water and also that it is so heavy.

6. chloe
    May 23, 2017 at 12:05 pm (7 months ago)

I learnt that water is very precious so the poor only use it in small amounts. Do you respect your things?? Well, in the poor, even the small things in life are precious so the poor kids probably only have one broken, damaged toy or even made out of rubbish and broken things that we throw out.

7. molly
    May 23, 2017 at 12:05 pm (7 months ago)

I learnt that children carry over 20kg of water and have to walk 2k.
    I also learnt that children have to walk to school for an hour.
    Children who go to school don’t eat until they go to school, that means that some only eat one meal a day and it is usually the same.

8. Alexander
    May 23, 2017 at 12:06 pm (7 months ago)

I never knew that our waste could feed all the people living in poverty in the world.

9. Seb
    May 23, 2017 at 12:07 pm (7 months ago)

I learnt that they use their resources well and never waste anything.

10. Stephanie
    May 23, 2017 at 12:08 pm (7 months ago)

I learnt that people living in poverty treat water as being so precious and they only use a tiny amount
    to wash their dishes and clothes.

I am so lucky to not live in poverty and I just have to turn on a tap.

11. max
    May 23, 2017 at 12:08 pm (7 months ago)

I learnt that the poor have bad food and bad water which means that they could die.

12. Imogen
    May 23, 2017 at 12:10 pm (7 months ago)

I learnt that poverty develops and takes money from people to make them poor.

13. Will
    May 23, 2017 at 12:11 pm (7 months ago)

I learnt that about half of the world is poor and what we waste could feed the poor.
    And some don’t know what a pencil is.
    Also they have to carry 20 litres on their head to their house.
    And they use water so preciously.

14. April
    May 23, 2017 at 12:12 pm (7 months ago)

I learnt that ….
    they use very little water to clean their dishes and clothes.
    They go to the pond where they wash their bodies which is also where their rubbish goes.

From April !!!!

15. Eva
    May 23, 2017 at 12:17 pm (7 months ago)

I learnt that poor people have to draw in the dirt at school to answer sums and all the things that we waste we could feed all the poor. I think that we could really help the poor.

From Eva!!!!

16. alex
    May 23, 2017 at 12:23 pm (7 months ago)

I am so grateful that I am healthy.
    I am so lucky that I don’t need to carry a 20kg thing of water.