Cuc Lam’s Suitcase is an episode of the series National Treasures produced in 2004.
Cuc Lam’s Suitcase
Vietnamese refugee Cuc Lam took family photos and jewellery but sacrificed one precious possession to buy a suitcase, now in Melbourne’s Immigration Museum. Cuc Lam talks to Warren Brown about her journey to Australia and how this small red vinyl bag was a symbol of a new beginning in a new country.
After watching the video ‘Cuc Lam’s Suitcase‘ answer the following questions either in your homework book or as a comment on the blog.
UNDERSTANDING THE VIDEO:
- Why is it assumed that family photo albums and precious jewellery would be the items that viewers would save if they had to flee their homes?
- Who was Cuc Lam?
- Why was she a refugee?
- Where did she go to after fleeing Vietnam?
- Why did she end up in Australia?
- When did she arrive here?
- Why did Cuc Lam purchase the suitcase?
- Where is Cuc Lam’s suitcase now located and why is it a national treasure?
- What has happened to her in Australia?
- If you were forced to leave your home forever, what would you take with you?