- clean empty bottle
- vinegar (or lemon juice)
- Baking Powder
Balloon Experiment :
Brainstorm ways to blow up a balloon (e.g. blow air into the balloon, fill it with helium, etc.) All these ideas are ways to use a GAS to fill up a balloon.
Using an empty bottle, vinegar and baking soda think of ways to use these new materials to blow up the balloon. Predict what will happen when vinegar and baking soda are combined in the bottle.
- Stretch the balloon to make it easy to inflate.
- Pour 15ml of vinegar into the bottle.
- Pour 2 teaspoons of baking soda into the balloon.
- Carefully fit the balloon over the mouth of the bottle without letting any baking soda fall into the bottle.
- After the balloon is completely over the mouth of the bottle, let the baking soda fall into the bottle.
- Observe the balloon expand!
When baking soda and vinegar (or lemon) are mixed, they form a GAS (carbon dioxide) that rises up into the balloon and inflates it.